I’ve gotten this question a lot from my friends and family since this blog was such a long time dream of mine. My answer is usually the same each time: I absolutely LOVE it, and it’s also a lot of work. Not saying work in a bad way, but in a way that I didn’t expect it to consume my life so much. I have learned so much in the past month and feel even more motivated to keep growing my following in the months to come. I’m no where near where I want to be, but definitely much further than I was a month ago!
1. SOCIAL MEDIA IS IMPORTANT. Social media somewhat consumes my life now. I was always on social media before, but didn’t care if I didn’t post an Instagram picture in a over a month. Now, I’m constantly thinking of what is going to be my next picture, how to gain followers, what hashtags to use, best times to post, etc. I’m now that person on my phone constantly checking to see how many likes I got on my most recent post that I swore I’d never be. I’m not complaining though because seeing that most of my readers have been coming from Instagram and Facebook makes it so rewarding! Now I just have to focus on finding the right theme I want to keep on my feed. It’s not easy, being someone that changes their mind every other day.
2. DON’T BE AFRAID OF WHAT PEOPLE THINK. That was one of my main problems when I was wanting to start a blog. I didn’t want my friends or family to see it because I had no idea how people would react. But honestly, the way people have been reacting to it has made me SO excited and thankful that I have such supportive friends and family! All the love and support I got made me feel like I did make the right decision and that following my dream should never be something to want to hide or be embarrassed about. Also, take into consideration any constructive criticism people might give. It’s great to get an outside perspective. After all, your blog is for others, not just you.
3. I HAVE A LOT MORE TO LEARN. This blogging business is no joke, whether you’re talking about how to monetize your blog, how to gain readers or how to design your website. It was intimidating at first, but with google anything is possible (LOL). I’m sure that even when I feel like I have everything figured out, there will be something new I have to learn and fix.
4. PHOTOGRAPHY IS SOMETHING I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT. Getting the right OOTD pic is way more difficult than you would think. Finding a good spot with a nice back drop and the right lighting is extremely annoying. It literally takes about 100 shots to find 3 good ones. Good thing my boyfriend has a hidden knack for snapping a good pic 😉
5. PATIENCE AND PERSISTENCE ARE KEY. Even though I’ve only been blogging a month, it’s easy to compare yourself to other people with thousands of followers. I have to remind myself that everyone has their own journey and every single person has something unique and different to offer to the world. Being patient but also being persistent in chasing your dream is something to keep in mind no matter what it is you want to achieve. For me, that is to continue to share my blog with people who are truly interested in what I have to say and to help other people.
6. TIME MANAGEMENT IS IMPORTANT. With working full time and blogging from when I get home until I go to bed, time management is definitely important to figure out. Planning posts for the week and maybe taking a few hours on Sunday to get organized and begin writing a few posts is what has been working best for me. It’s all about trial and error 🙂
Of course, there’s a lot more I’ve learned and will continue to learn along the way. Advice to anyone contemplating on starting a blog: DO IT. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain 🙂 I have a long way to go, but I would like to thank you guys who have been reading my posts and following along the past month! It means the world to me. I would love to keep documenting my journey with you guys, so let me know in the comments if there are any blog specific questions you have!
Here are some links to other websites I used when trying to start my blog and continue to read to grow my blog. They’re super helpful.